Thursday, September 3, 2009

when cooking or life gets dull...just SPICE IT UP!

Well, my first complete week of classes is done. I have met all my teachers, seen the kitchen and the bakery,(which is so exciting that I get to work in both!), found a great carpool partner, and met the people in my classes. We all had to introduce ourselves and say why we wanted to be in "the food industry" and what we did over the summer. It was great and there were some people who were as drivin as me, some more, and some less.It got boring after the 5 class we had to do it in, but owell. I am eager to see what their interests are, what they are good at, and see that I am not alone in making mistakes in the kitchen.
I already have so many papers to write on the differences of flours, my expectations, my thoughts on food, and everything else in between. It is exciting to be writing about something I love. I just cant wait to get in the kitchen. IM SO ANTSY!!
I do have to start thinking about two of my finals though. One is a two part final for baking. It involves coming up with and completing one yeast bread recipe and successfully baking it. (NOT BURNT) and the next is to create a simply decorated cake from scratch. So far I am thinking about making my Nonna's trusty and old fashioned italian fluffy foccacia bread topped with stewed tomatoes, a little basil, and olive oil.(We just call it foccats in our family) and a home made german chocolate cake with fresh coconut sprinkled over. Not to sure yet though, well see.
My next final is to interview two people and complete reports on them. They have to be people that do what I potentially am interested in doing. Thats all fine and dandy...until I realized that I need to find a way to meet people in what I want to do. I dont know many people who teach kids how to cook or own successful cafes. So we will see. Maybe God will drop someone in my life that is a successful cafe owner or Rachel Ray will stop by Applebees in the near future...not likely to happen, but that would be SO cool.

To sum it up...after the first week:
-I am too shy...that has never been a problem for me, I am just so worried that I wont stand out or I'll make the wrong impression. But I need to suck it up and do my best and show them who I am in the kitchen.

-I am as of now around 130 pounds. I am hoping those pastries wont go to my hips too much, but even if they do IT WILL BE WORTH IT! I might even want to gain a little. They say never to trust a skinny chef.

-I am already finding it hard to balance my work load. I do appologize to my family, boyfriend, and friends in advance for deserting them, but will make it up in pies, cakes, or savory treats of any kind. I pinky promise!


IN MY EXPERIENCE:
-DO NOT GIVE UP WHEN COOKING.TAKE YOUR TIME AND DONT LET IT GET OVERWHELMING. PEOPLE DONT HAVE TO EAT IT IF THEY DONT WANT TO. COOK FOR YOURSELF AND KEEP THE PASSION!
-WHEN COOKING GETS DULL...SPICE IT UP!
-AND CRACKING AN EGG LOOKS TOUGH, BUT ITS NOT. JUST PRACTICE AND YOU WILL LOOK COOL IN NO TIME!
-PESTO IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. IT GOES WELL ON SANDWICHES, PASTAS, AND ANYTHING ELSE. PLUS ITS SO EASY TO MAKE AND VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY, AND IT LOOKS FANCY.
-ADDING A EGG TO ANY SANDWICH CAN TAKE IT FROM A BORING LUNCH TO A GOOEY BRUNCH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY. *ADD PICO OR SALSA AS WELL AND IT GIVES IT A KICK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey bin AJ's aunt (i think) owns a coffee shop and christian bands play and stuff